Museum of Hungarian Culture in SlovakiaMuseum of Hungarian Culture in Slovakia
A specialised museum with national coverage focussing on the history and development of material and spiritual culture of the Hungarian ethnic group in Slovakia is housed in the Brämer Mansion located in the partially preserved settlement at the foot of Bratislava Castle called Podhradie.
The museum administers two branches. An exhibition in Dolná Strehová presents the life and work of a prominent Hungarian playwright Imre Madách and visual art objects by artists inspired by the writer. An exhibition in Sklabiná presents the work and personality of the well-known Hungarian writer Kálmán Mikszáth and life in Sklabiná in the 19th century.
History of the Museum
The Brämer Manor House, built in the second half of the 16th century, has an irregular four-wing structure built around a central courtyard. It originated by the reconstruction of earlier late-Gothic houses and their merging into a single Renaissance structure with a four-wing floor plan, which is evidenced by an asymmetrically placed portal preserving the passage of the older building.
Around 1600, castle officer Brämer had rebuilt the house to a two-storey Renaissance manor. Matthias Bel in his Notitiae ... mentions a chronostichon VIrtVtVIs CoMes InVIDIa that could be seen in his era on the façade of the house, which led him to assume that it was built in 1620.
The west wing and the staircase were built during the Renaissance reconstruction, when all façades were unified and the semi-circular turrets were built on each corner of the main façade. The last phase of the early-Baroque reconstruction took place in the first third of the 18th century, when the northern court wing was completed. The further reconstructions have not significantly changed the style of the building. Later, the house was several times sold to different burgesses of Bratislava.
The Brämer Manor house is part of the extramural settlement of the Bratislava Castle with the Church of the Holy Trinity in the centre, which has been preserved only partly.