Museum of HistoryMuseum of History
from 23. 11. 2016 to 31. 12. 2016
Established in 1962, the Museum in Saint Anton has in its collection several artworks and historically important items. However one of it's great surprises is set of prints ("vedute") dating from the mid of 18th century, which were discovered in 1960s in a built-in cabinet in a salon called Family gallery during reforms in the palace Koháry-Coburg. In the inventory of the palace from the year 1792 there is a note about 126 vedutas. From the total 78survived until today and were restored by professor Boris Kvasnica. From this group 30 were selected for this exhibitoin and they represent some of the major cities of Europe at that time, besides Constantinopol (now Istanbul), Jerusalem, Brussels or also Bratislava.
The engravings were created between 1719 (Berlin) and 1765 (Jerusalem). They were made from sketches, which were engraved on copper plates and then reprinted on hand-made paper. Besides its beauty the pictures are a true historical and architectural treasure, they portray and bring references of the buildings, bridges, ports and other aspects of urban planning in the eighteenth century.
The engravings were acquired in 1792 by Earl Nicolas Kohary (1721-1769) to decorate the palace and show already at that time their links with the globalized world. Most of the works were done by Friedrich Bernhard Werner (1688-1778), military engineer and topographer. His drawings were published in Augsburg initially by Jeremias Wolff nad after his death by his son in law, Johann Balthasar Probst and his sons Johann Friedrich and Georg Balthasar Probst.