History of the museum
A department specialising in archaeology was formed gradually in the SNM and its predecessors. As early as 1924, there was already a History and Archaeology section in the Regional Museum and from 1932 a section for prehistoric archaeology. In 1969, an Institute of Archaeology with 12 specialist researchers was founded in the SNM alongside an Institute of Natural Sciences and Institute of History. The Institute of Archaeology of the SNM became an independent organisational unit in 1989, the Museum of Archaeology, and since 1999 has been housed in a separate building. The museum is divided into four departments: specialist, technical, documentary and presentation.
The first specialist to work in the Regional Museum was Professor Jan Eisner, the founder of modern archaeology in Slovakia. While J. Eisner worked in the museum until 1939 as a volunteer, in 1931 a graduate of archaeology, Ľ. Kraskovská, was employed in 1931 by the museum.
From 1956, M. Pichlerová, J. Paulík, B. Polla, B. Egyházy-Jurovská, L. Zachar, A. Habovštiak, Z. Drenko, E. Studeníková, Š. Holčík and A. Vallašek gradually came to work in the Bratislava centre. The largest number of university-educated archaeologists (18) were employed in the museum at the beginning of the 1990s; since then, their numbers have gradually fallen. In 2017, the Museum of Archaeology has 19 employees, 10 of whom are archaeologists. Smaller archaeology centres can be found within the SNM in the EthnographicMuseum in Martin and in the SpišMuseum in Levoča. The SNM – Museum of Archaeology is active throughout Slovakia; the work of its staff can be formally classified as building up and protecting collections, science and research and presentation activities.