About the museum
Museum Mission and History
The Ľudovít Štúr Museum was established in the town of Modra, Štúr’s final resting place. It focuses on building up and presenting the collections and study materials regarding the personality of Ľ. Štúr, history as well as cultural and ethnographic traditions of Modra and the surrounding region. The holding of over 5,000 collection items mainly includes ethnographic collections of ceramics and folk textiles, furniture and wooden or metal objects from the history of Modra. The library holding of the museum (19,000 items) is divided into a literary-historical library, a scientific library, the personal library of Dr. Jozef Ambruš and a specialized library. In the archival holding, the museum curates approximately 5,000 photographs and archival units. The museum presents four permanent exhibitions to the visitors: Ľudovít Štúr and Modern Slovakia, the Memorial Room of Ľudovít Štúr, and the Museum of Slovak Ceramic Sculpture together with the Ignác Bizmayer Gallery.
The museum was established in the town of Modra in 1965. It was built with the contribution of the Slovak National Council, the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic, the Institute of Slovak Literature of the Slovak Academy of Sciences and the town of Modra. After the reconstruction of the former town hall building, the first permanent exhibition Štúrovci (followers of Ľ. Štúr) in the National and Literary Life of the Slovaks was opened in 1978. Since 2006, the museum has been part of the Slovak National Museum. It moved to a house on the square, originally owned by the family of Ľ. Štúr’s sister-in-law – the Emresz House, where Štúr died in 1856. On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of Štúr’s birth (2015), the exhibition part of the building was repaired and the first of the new expositions – Ľudovít Štúr and Modern Slovakia – was opened.